Minutes 9th October 2017

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 9th October 2017 at 7.00pm in the Methodist Hall.

Present:
Cllr Vaughan (Chairman)
Cllr Chapman
Cllr Cullender
Cllr Mrs Ruth
Cllr Ruth
Cllr Kerr
Cllr Mrs Wright
Cllr Mrs Hamer
Cllr Wiles

Sally Upshall – Clerk
Cllr Dowden- NDDC Councillor
Cllr Westbrook – NDDC Councillor

There were two members of the public present.

1. Welcome & Domestic Notices

The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming those present and announcing the Domestic Notices.

2. 2017/088 Declarations of Interest Regarding
a) Agenda Items
The Chairman regarding his expenses on the Payment Schedule.

b) Grant of dispensations regarding Disclosable Pecuniary Interests when setting the Annual Precept
None

3. 2017/089 Public Consultation
Mr Eveleigh asked about the progress with the tree that is on private land but is in danger of falling onto the road. The clerk explained that she had written to the land owner twice but had received no reply. Mr Eveleigh said he would write to the Highways Department to request they remove it at the land owners expense.
Mr Eveleigh also spoke regarding the large sign at the entrance to Sodom lane about the building development. At the present time the development has ceased and he wondered how long the sign will stay up for? Cllr Dowden said he would look into this and report back to the Chairman.

4. 2017/090 Apologies for Absence.

Cllr Carr-Jones.

5. 2017/091 Chairman’s Urgent Business
Nothing to report

6. 2017/092 Minutes
The minutes of the meeting held on 4th of September were agreed by the Councillor’s present.

7. 2017/093 Matters arising from the previous minutes (not on agenda)
There had been discussion at the last meeting regarding the SLA for the footpaths. The clerk will forward the latest agreement to all Councillors and she advised if any Councillor had a problem with a certain footpath this should be reported to the clerk who will report to the Footpaths Officer Mr Ham.

Cllr Mrs Hamer raised the question of the training session on planning Councillors gave their availability for 30th October at 7pm Village Hall and Cllr Charles Dowden will contact the Instructor and if he was not available then he would do it.

8. 2017/094 Financial Matters

a) Payment Schedule.
Payment Schedule for October for £2058.07 was signed by the Chairman.

  • The Chairman asked if payment should be made to the minute taker who took the minutes in the clerk’s absence? After discussion, it was proposed by Cllr Hamer that a jester of £50 should be paid and this was seconded by Cllr Chapman and all were in favour.
    A vote of thanks will also be given by the Chair and the payment will go on the next payment schedule.

The Clerk informed the meeting that the Budget Meeting will take place on 14th November

9. 2017/095 Planning Matters
The clerk read out the email from Savills regarding the proposed developments in Marnhull.
Discussion followed and it was proposed by Cllr Chapman and seconded by Cllr Mrs Ruth that they are invited to the next meeting

10. 2017/096 Councillors’ Reports

Play Area/Recreation Ground – Cllrs Hamer reported that the hedge at the back of the tennis court needs attention and hasn’t been cut for some years. The tennis club have said that they would be happy to get a quote and contribute to it being attended to. After discussion, it was decided that Cllr Hamer would go back to the tennis club for them to get a quote for having the work completed and then report back to the Council.
The Chairman asked about the entrance to Nash Lane needing trimming and Cllr Hamer said she would ask Chris Woods and the Clerk to write a reply to Mrs Jenks indicating that the matter is being attended too
Cllr Hamer also noted that the defibrillator training was due and she would arrange a date and put an advert in the Marnhull Messenger.
Cllr Kerr reported that the bridge needs replacing the play area as it is rotten. Cllr Kerr has undertaken a temporary repair but that is not sufficient for the long term. The cost to be discussed at the budget meeting in November.

Dog Fouling – The dog waste bins are currently in the clerk’s house and need to be put in their respective places in the Village. Cllr Kerr will source the equipment and material needed to get them in situ and Cllr Mike Ruth offered his help Clerk to write a letter to Mr Crocker for permission to place a bin on his land in Church Hill.

Parish Councils Group Update – The Chairman agreed to circulate the minutes to all the Parish Councillors for their information.

Repair of pothole in the drive
The clerk suggested that she contact Kingsmere Surfacing who completed the work on the drive to ask if this is something they could complete for us.

a) NDDC – Cllr Dowden explained that this was his last meeting he gave two copies of the Marnhull Book and correspondence dealing with Henstridge Airport to the Clerk for safe keeping. The Chairman passed a vote of thanks to him for all his support and work over many years.

Cllr Westbrook reported that superfast broadband should be available in all areas of Dorset shortly. Cllr Westbrook also had information on NDDC Planning Department and how it operates together with a staff list. The Chairman agreed to circulate the information to all Councillors

b) Parish

The Chairman explained that they had been problems with the supply of lunches to the Lunch Club due to the use of facilities not being available. After discussion, it was decided that Cllr Chapman will follow up with his contact at the Exchange and report back to the Council at the next meeting.

Cllr Chapman reported that he is about to turn the water off at the allotments and he has checked the meter and all is well with the usage.

Cllr Cullender explained regarding the damage to the grit bin on Great Down Lane and explained that he has a quote for a replacement for £233 and DCC will remove the old one and refill the new one. It was proposed by Cllr Cullender that we accept that quote, this was seconded by Cllr Hamer and all were in favour.

The broken padlock on the gate to the Recreation Ground was spoken about and the clerk will purchase another to go on that gate.

11. 2017/097 Clerk’s Report/s
None

12. Correspondence –
There had been correspondence from Mr Lloyd regarding the finger post sign. The Chairman will write a reply for the clerk to send to Mr Lloyd

Further discussion took place on other finger post signs requiring repair because of cost it was decided to have it as an item on the Budget Meeting agenda and the Clerk will make enquiries with DCC and our insurance to see if it is covered under Street Furniture.

Flooding in Hains Lane re a letter from Mr Halton After discussion Councillors felt that as correspondence had been exchanged between the local MP, Highways Dept, and BT there was nothing further the Parish Council could do

The Chairman asked if the Councillors wished to receive information he had been sent about road closures and school transport. They agreed it was most useful and wished it to continue

The email from Mr Aston regarding the practice of his technique for hammer throwing was discussed and all Councillors agreed that this was not something that can be facilitated on Recreation Ground. The clerk will contact him with this information.

13. 2017/098 Date and time of next meeting
Parish Council Meeting Monday 6th of November 2017 in the Village Hall at 7pm

The meeting concluded at 8.30pm.