Minutes 4th of July 2016

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 4th of July at 7.00pm in the Village Hall

Present.
Cllr Vaughan (Chairman)
Cllr Chapman
Cllr Cullender
Cllr Hamer
Cllr Mrs L Ruth
Cllr Mr M Ruth
Cllr Wiles
Cllr Wright

Cllr Dowden – NDDC Councillor.
Mr Sandy Kerr – Safety Officer

There were 6 members of the public present.

Planning Meeting

14 Sackmore Green: The Chairman asked if there was anyone present who had an interest in this application, to which there were no responses. He then went on to report that there was a letter of objection from the owner of no. 16 Sackmore Green sighting loss of light and that the extension contravened planning regulations. Cllr Chapman suggested that if the application was in breach of regulations then we should object. A short discussion ensued resulting in agreement that the council should object on the same grounds as cited in the letter of objection from the neighbour.
Resolved: Objection.
The Parish Council also requested that should the NDD Council be minded to approve this application then it is to be heard by the Development Control Committee.
Reasons:
Loss of Light
Breach of planning policies / regulations.

1. Welcome & Domestic Notices

The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming those present and announcing the Domestic Notices.

2. 2016/044 Declarations of Interest Regarding
a. Agenda Items

The Chairman declared an interest regarding item 8 for his mileage claim and reported that the Safety Officer (Mr Kerr) had a claim for expenses.

b. Grant of dispensations regarding Disclosable Pecuniary Interests when setting the Annual Precept

No changes reported

3. 2016/045 Public Consultation

In light of a member of the public wishing to raise a concern regarding footpaths, the chairman agreed to bring forward the Footpath Update under item 10 and discuss that now. He reported that NDDC Rangers had repaired a number of styles in the village and that Mr V Ham had confirmed this in a mail to the chairman. Mr Ham had also reported that footpath N47/111 is impassable but should have been maintained under our SLA. The Chairman will investigate.

Mrs Sturgess reported that the footpath at the back of Ham Meadows/Burgess Close had been sprayed with weedkiller affecting vegetation and wildlife on her land. The Chairman said he would attempt to discover who may have been responsible.

4. 2016/046 Apologies for Absence.

The Clerk
Cllr Jane Westbrook NDDC

5. 2016/047 Chairman’s Urgent Business.

The Village Hall Committee meeting regarding the proposed extension on 7th July. Cllr Wright will attend as the Parish Council representative.

The clerk has reported that the internal auditor has recommended that councillors should apply formally for expenses in writing and as a result, the chairman has issued a template to councillors to use in future.

The matter of who should authorise expenses was raised. It was decided that Cllr Ruth should include this in the review of standing orders and financial procedures.

Recording of council meetings. The chairman suggested that we purchase a device that will record and then transcribe the meeting into an electronic document, costing £80. This was proposed by Cllr Hamer and seconded by Cllr Wright and all were in favour.

6. 2016/048 Minutes

The minutes of the Council Meeting held on the 6th June 2016, and the planning
meeting of the 25th May 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman after a small
agreed alterations on pages 3 & 4.

7. 2016/049 Matters arising from the previous minutes (not on agenda)

Item 2, Hain’s Lane:

Roger Bell (DCC Highways) has reported back to say that the kerbs installed are in keeping with the class of the road and are designed to protect the verge and bank.

Members of the public also raised concerns that there is expected to be more commercial traffic due to an alleged expansion of business at the chicken farm on the lane. The chairman undertook to make enquiries.

The works at the triangle at the Nash Lane end of the lane still have to be done due to the fact that the drainage pipework in that area is old and has to be moved as it no longer does the job it is required to do. Environment Agency are also involved and therefore this is a more involved exercise for which we have no forecast completion date.

8. 2016/050 Financial Matters

a. Payment Schedule. After some discussion about the details of the payments, it was decided that the regular amounts would be clarified at the next Financial Working Group meeting. The payments were however agreed by the council to the total amount of £3,444.85.
b. Financial Statements. Cllr M Ruth highlighted a mistake in line two which had a knock on effect across the workings presented. He amended the statements to present to the Chairman after the meeting. The statements for 1st June were not agreed.
c. Bank Account Signatories. The Chairman explained that he had had difficulties in getting his signature approved by the bank, but now he was approved, together with Cllrs Cullender and M Ruth.
d. Finance Meeting. Cllr M Ruth suggested that we invite the internal auditor to the next Finance meeting at which all matters concerning statements, payments etc will be reviewed. The date of this meeting TBA with invites to all councillors.

9. 2016/051 Planning Matters

Greenfield, Sodom Lane: Cllr Cullender described the on site meeting held with Chairman and Gary Adlem, the prospective planning applicant. He reported that the outline plans (not yet submitted) may be for 5 detached houses. This seemed ambitious, allowing very little space for gardens with two proposed properties very close to neighboring boundaries. The properties would be ‘cottage’ style in keeping with the others in Sodom Lane. More detailed plans to follow.

10. 2016/052 Councillors’ Reports

a. DCC – No Report.
b. NDDC – Cllr Dowden had nothing to report.
c. Parish:

Allotment Water Leak: The Chairman reported that he had sent a letter to all the allotment holders explaining the situation to them and that the council could not support the bill. He had received a communication from Wessex Water stating that we could meet with the persons that attended the leak. There is a lot of uncertainty about what happened. We need to determine the period to which the reading relates. It was agreed that Cllr Chapman meet with the Wessex Water persons and that we should write to the company to explain that we cannot pay the bill until we have had the meeting and understand the issue more. The Chairman said he would also obtain the bill from the Clerk.

Recreation Ground/Cemetery Registration: The Chairman had met with David Crocker, who said that the cemetery ground was originally owned by his father and confirmed the sale to the Parish. The details of the purchase are now lost, but David Crocker is prepared to swear an affit davit to affirm the purchase. We are awaiting Rutters to respond to us.

Cricket Pitch Covers: The Chairman had received a report from a resident that the cricket club is not moving the covers sufficiently around the ground to allow the grass to recover. Cllr Hamer agreed to speak to the club to persuade them to move the covers more to protect the grass.

Great Down Lane: Re ‘quarrying’ activities: The Chairman explained that the owners of the site had been visited by enforcement officers. He had also heard that the use of a stone crusher may be planned. He has written to the owners regarding this but has not yet received a reply. Cllr Dowden said that more of a concern was any potential transportation of the stone on the local roads. The Chairman stated that he would contact the enforcement officers to ascertain the current position.

Car Park Lines: The repainting of the lines is still pending.

Defibrillator: A sign to indicate contact details will be organised by Mr Kerr.

Rec/Cemetery Litter Bins: We are unsure about who is responsible for the clearance of these bins. Cllr Hamer will contact Dorset Waste Partnership to ascertain whether they are responsible and will report back if any news is forthcoming.

First Aid in Schools: At St Gregory’s school, 160 children were trained. The Chairman reported that the training was very professional and that the school’s head was very appreciative.

July Events: The Chairman suggested it may be nice for an social get together of councillors past and present in July. Regarding the Fest, Mr Kerr questioned whether the Council would cover the Fest liability insurance or not. The Chairman said he would ask the Clerk to contact the Fest committee to ensure there was coverage.

Hiring of the Recreation Ground: It was not known if the recreation ground was already reserved for cricket or another regular event for any of the period in question. The Chairman will contact the Clerk to respond back to find out more about the proposed event and provide an outline quote if possible.

Cllr. Chapman: No report

Cllr. Wright: No report

Cllr. Hamer: The water meter reading for the rec have been taken. No suspected leaks. She will send them to the Chairman. She reported that the tree surgeon brought in to look at removing some branches on the Leylandi tree by the play area has advised that the tree is dangerous. He quoted £800 to remove the tree. Mr Kerr agreed to obtain a report on the state of the tree and then we will be able to decide on a course of action.

Mr Kerr: Had obtained 3 quotes for the repair of the equipment in the play area. He recommended the quote of £834 from Minterne Fencing. He also raised some concerns about signage in the areas. It was decided to move one sign and make a new one. Cllr Wright proposed that we pursue the quote from Minterne Fencing and this was seconded by Cllr Hamer and all agreed.

Cllr. Mrs L Ruth: No report

Cllr Wiles: Expressed concerns that the Gillingham development plan had potential to impact Marnhull in relation to construction traffic and potential flooding. The Chairman responded by explaining that we had already fed our concerns into the process and had received responses that traffic monitoring would be put in place. He also explained that the developers would sign routes for construction traffic. However, there is still great uncertainty as to the details of the construction itself and consequent infrastructure needs. This means we need to maintain a watching brief.

Cllr M Ruth: Will arrange a date for the next Finance working group meeting.

Cllr Cullender: Has been in touch with the editor of the Marnhull Messenger who can give a council member access to manage the Council web pages. He said that he would be happy to have this access unless another councillor wished to. It was agreed that Cllr Cullender be allowed to manage this.

10. 2016/053 Clerk’s Report

Nothing to report

11. 2016/054 Date of next meeting/s

Council Meeting Monday 1st August at 7pm in the Village Hall.

The meeting concluded at 9 pm.